Wednesday, April 20, 2011

OCA competition - Roll With it

I decided to enter this OCA competition with commitment; having won the last one, I felt I was in with a chance.

An early idea that came to my mind was a lamp with a toilet roll as the shade.


This was followed by other "still life" pieces

I wanted to photograph a scene of my mother coming out of the supermarket carrying a load of toilet rolls but she did not want to play and neither did she want me to ask a friend of hers to. I fancied doing a self portrait but this would have meant using a tripod and no doubt the management of Waitrose would have come out to ask me what I was up to and probably to tell me to stop etc

In the end, I went for an image that one tutor described as "strong work" and a student as "Great Work". There were other encouraging comments from other students. Might it not be the winner? It had to be!! I was aware of my crazy mind going on because somehow I knew it would not be.

This photoshopped photo of a black woman with a toilet roll superimposed over her face surely has narrative potential (as one tutor remarked).

It did not however really fullfil the brief and was not what the tutors/judges were looking for. Photoshop had seduced me from the raw experience of the photograph!!

No comments:

Post a Comment